Turnip Greens with Potatoes

I was sitting down and wondering what to come up with for dinner when my younger one suggested I make some potatoes with green leaves. I usually make aloo palak or aloo methi which my daughters love. Today, I did not have both of them......so, I decided to use the turnip leaves ( I am probably doing this turnip potato combo the second time). I always have these frozen greens like collard, mustard and turnip in my freezer all the time. These come in handy when you decide to make a simple dal and want to include some vegetables. You just throw in a few handfuls of these greens into the dal and you have a very simple and nutritious side dish. My daughters enjoyed their meal with some phulkas and a cup of yogurt.



2 big potatoes (about 1/2 a kg) cut into big cubes
1 cup chopped frozen turnip greens thawed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 full teaspoon of chopped garlic
2 teaspoons of chopped ginger
1 green chilli chopped finely
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Heat up the oil and splutter the cumin seeds. Follow it with onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute it till the onion turns transparent. Add the potatoes along with salt and turmeric. Stir this on little above medium heat for about five minutes. Cover and cook on low heat until the potatoes are soft yet firm. Now add the turnip leaves. Check for salt and add more if needed. Cover it again and cook for some more time until the potatoes become little more softer. At any of the stages while covering and cooking you can sprinke some water if necessary.

Hope you enjoy as well:-)

Comments

  1. Nice and easy dish Krithika, share some more quick ones from your creation.
    Normally I used pre boiled potatoes and let the fresh greens remain a little crunchy and also add a few drops of lemon juice.
    Thanks for sharing
    Anjana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pecan Ladoo

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Beetroot Pulao