Eggless Sweet Potato Muffins





I consider my blog to not only be a place to share my recipes with others but also to narrate my experiences.  Sometimes these experiences cannot be so good.  As far as baking is concerned, I like to try out simple cakes, quick breads and muffins.  Most of the time my attempts have been a success.  I like the idea of incorporating different kinds of vegetables as well in these recipes... even though typically bananas and apples are a favorite.  I bought these sweet potatoes(probably the second time in my life) with the intention of trying out some desserts.  The idea of using it in a muffin hit me I and looked for some recipes on the net.  I came upon this recipe here which called for 2 eggs for 2 cups of flour.  But I decided to substitute these eggs with banana and oil. As I started, there were a few hiccups - I was short of some potatoes and brown sugar.  Hence, I had to come up with alternatives....and ended up using the ingredients like this


1.5 cups of  shredded sweet potato and 1/2 cup of shredded carrots
3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of maple syrup
1 banana mashed
1 tbsp milk plus 3 tbsp oil
1/2 cup of oil
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1.25 tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp clove powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

Whisked the brown sugar, banana, maple syrup, oil, milk and vanilla.  Combined the dry ingredients in a bowl. Added the grated potatoes to the flour.  Added the dry to the wet oil and sugar mixture and stirred all the ingredients together.  As I found this to be very dry, I added about a 1/2 cup of milk.  I used only half the quantity of the raisins and walnuts as I was adding it to half of the batter.  Baked in an oven set to 350 degrees F for little longer than the set time of 28 minutes. I could not get a rounded muffin top as after taking out they sort of collapsed.  I felt it was little bit wet on the inside...nevertheless the taste was good.

I will surely try this again without the milk and without too many variations from the recipe to get it right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Pecan Ladoo

Steel cut Oats Upma