Barley Adai with turnip greens



Parboiled rice ¾ cup

Raw rice ¼ cup

Barley ½ cup

Cracked wheat fine ¼ cup

Toor dal ½ cup

Chana dal ½ cup

Urad dal ¼ cup

Moong dal ¼ cup

Frozen turnip greens

Thanks to the internet, I learned that Barley can be substituted while making idlis, dosas and adais. However, here is my version of Barley adai.

Soak all the rice and the dals together and the barley and cracked wheat separately for about 3 hrs. Grind the dal and the rice first adding redchillies and curry leaves. After it becomes a bit coarse, add in the barley and continue to grind for five more minutes. Add the cracked wheat in the end and let it go for a couple of minutes. Add salt to the batter. The batter is ready to make crispy adais. Just before making the adai, add some thawed turnip greens to the batter. Any kind of greens can be added to the batter along with grated vegetables of your choice like onions, cabbage, cauliflower or brocolli.

Since this was my first attempt at using barley and also because of the fact that I had only that much quantity in my pantry, I used only 1/2 cup. The next time I will surely try with half rice and half barley. I made some Quick Sambar to go with it. Sending this second entry to Wholesome Wholegrain Cooking - Barley event by Sanjeeta

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Pecan Ladoo

Steel cut Oats Upma