Collard Greens and Moong dal stir fry curry

I found this lovely bunch of collard greens last week at the farmers market and brought them home(for the first time) thinking I will make a simple south indian type of dal with this.  Whenever I buy some bok choy I like to combine them with moong dal which is to be cooked directly on the stove top after soaking them for half hour to one hour.  I decided I was going to prepare these greens  in the same manner.

However, I changed my mind later on and decided to go ahead with a dry preparation.  Along the way,  I decided to add some onions and garlic.

Some facts on Collard greens.....widely used in Southern US cuisine it is widely eaten in the Kashmir region of India and Pakistan.  A common dish of that region is haak-rus a soup of whole leaves cooked in water, salt and oil and consumed with rice.  They are a good source of Vitamin C and soluble fiber with potent anti cancer properties.



1 bunch collard greens trimmed and chopped as fine as possible
1 small onion
1/2 cup moong dal soaked for an hour
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric
2-3 garlic cloves grated
small piece of ginger grated
1/2 tsp red chili powder or to taste(I use the non spicy one)


First cook the moong dal till it is soft but firm.

Take a table spoon of oil in a pan and when it is hot splutter the cumin seeds followed by the onions.   Saute them for about 2 minutes before adding the ginger and garlic.  Now add the chopped greens, turmeric, salt and chili powder and cook it open till it wilts a bit.  Add about a cup of water, let it come to a boil and lower the heat to cook the collards covered....cook until they are soft.  Now add the cooked moong dal and combine them till they are mixed well.  Stir for a few minutes.

Surprisingly, my girls ate them without complaining as they were having it with some curd rice.  I too liked it best with some steaming hot rice.

I am sending this to CWS-Mung Beans event of Priya's.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steel cut Oats Upma

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Flax Seeds Watermelon Dosa and Moong dal Sambar