Crispy Lentil Bonda with Zucchini

Yesterday being Rama Navami, I decided to make some Medhu Vadas....however they ended up being Bondas as I got little extra water in the batter.. along with Neer Mor and Paanagam... the traditional offering to Lord Rama.  I was not too keen on making any sweets as I am the only one gulping it down. Anyway, having decided that, I wanted to get in some veggies into the bondas and decided to use the zucchinis for a change and lot of chopped coriander.  Eventhough the traditional bondas have only urad dal(black gram lentil), I decided to add some toor dal for color and rice for crispness.  They were indeed nice and crispy!!




3/4 cup urad dal (split or whole)
3 tbsp toor dal
1 tbsp rice
2 green chillies(increase it for more spice)
1 inch ginger piece
handful of coriander leaves chopped
1 medium zucchini grated with skin
salt to taste
oil for frying

Soak the first three ingredients for 3-4 hours.  Drain and rinse and grind this into a smooth fluffy paste.  For small quantities, I like to use the food processor instead of the regular mixie as the resulting little coarseness of the batter gives a nice texture to the fried item.  I personally like to add the ginger and chillies in the last stages of grinding.  You can add half the amount while grinding and the rest can be grated and added in the end to the batter. Transfer this to a bowl and add the chopped coriander,salt and the grated zucchini.  Mix this thoroughly and fry them in hot oil, dropping small balls of the batter at a time. Remove when they are golden brown in color.Enjoy these yummy bondas!!!  I tried some of them in the paniyaram pan  and the bondas looked like these.  These are best eaten when it is fresh..



Tip: I save the stems from trimming the coriander leaves.  I used them while grinding the batter.  Infact, they can be used in any curries or chutneys or dals....try it and you will find the dish so aromatic.

Comments

  1. I will try to make them soon and will let you know the result. Thanks for recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Pecan Ladoo

Steel cut Oats Upma