Banana and Apple Oat Muffins-100th Post!!

After having made the Banana Bread(eggless), I am posting this yet another egg free baked goodie as  my 100th post.  Needless to say all my baked goods are and will be eggless.  I choose to bookmark only those recipes wherein I will be able to skip the eggs.   I was not averse to eggs until about a few years back when I started trying eggless recipes.  My first ever attempt during my non blogging days to bake something eggless was the wonderful Banana Bread which has been posted here on my blog a few days ago and later on an eggless apple cake.

Since then I have been hooked on to these eggless treats and encourage my kids also to try out baking in the kitchen without eggs.   Suddenly, when they get the urge to bake something, they just simply use my idea of milk and oil combination where the recipe calls for just one egg.  This ofcourse has been borrowed from here which also lists out very many other ideas.  I find this easy to adapt as I have to correspondingly increase the amount of oil and milk that is already being used in the recipe.

Today I attempted this very healthy muffin using oats as the main ingredient.  I was looking to use a banana as well as some apple and searched one on here to find this muffin recipe.




3/4 cup quick oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp all spice powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 tablespoon brown sugar
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon milk(low fat)
4 table spoon or 1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup peeled and finely chopped tart apple
1/4 mashed ripe banana

Mix all the ingredients until brown sugar in a bowl.  Beat the oil and the milk and add it to the dry ingredients.  Stir until just moistened.  Fold in the chopped apples and the bananas.  Fill the muffin cups and bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Notes and Observations
The original recipe called for one egg, 1 table spoon oil and 1/3 cup milk.  Following my method of substitution, I have come up with the above oil and milk measure.  The recipe says to stir the wet and the dry until just moistened.  My batter was quite moist....it would not have mattered even if I had gone for little less milk.
I used quick oats instead of old fashioned oats.  I crushed up the oats with my fingers a little bit.
I baked the full 30 minutes.
I used gala apples.
The sugar was a little bit on the lower side which neither of us did not seem to mind.  If you wish to increase the sugar by a table spoon or so, the milk can be reduced to 1/4th cup.
If a recipe calls for all spice and you do not have some at home the closest substitution would be to mix equal parts of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg powders in equal quantity and use the required amount of this combination. That is what I did in my recipe.  However, on the link that I have added above for all spice,  there is also a suggestion to use cinnamon, ginger and cloves in equal parts or cinnamon, cloves, pepper and nutmeg.
Some chopped nuts can also be added to this recipe.
This recipe makes 6 regular sized muffin.



Comments

  1. Congrats Krithika on 100th post. Those muffins looks healthy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pecan Ladoo

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Beetroot Pulao