Eggless Pear Muffins or Vegan Plum Muffins

 
It has been quite some time since I contributed anything to my food blog that I made up my mind today to take time off from my navarathri preparations to post this from my inbox.  As you all know, my camera charger was missing and that brought to me a halt.  Around that time I made these muffins and while I was doing the Plum muffins I remembered about my daughter's camera with which I took the pictures. Subsequently, I also found my camera charger(kept very safely by me) but could not concentrate on doing anything as I was busy getting ready for Navaratri.

Here are the recipies......

I had these nice ripe pears in my refrigerator for many weeks and decided to prepare some muffins with them.  I usually like to make muffins as they come as a handy snack or a filling breakfast.  My girls enjoy them with a glass of milk in the morning.  It is just so easy to grab them and enjoy it on the go.  So I went about googling for a pear muffin recipe and found this one at www.makeandtakes.com.   This is a very cute website worth taking a look.  Cute because it carries some craft ideas as well for those craft lovers and moms who want to occupy their little kids!!


Pear Muffins with Honey Oat Topping
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup diced pears, skin removed

Honey Oat Topping:
1 Nature Valley Oats ‘N Honey Granola Bar, crumbled
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place nine muffin liners in a muffin pan. Fill the other cups with a little bit of water. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk in the sugar.
3. In a separate medium bowl, mix canola oil, egg, milk, and vanilla together.
4. Add the wet ingredients into flour mixture. Stir until just combined, don’t over mix.. Gently fold in the diced pears.
5. In a small bowl, using a fork, mix together the crumbled granola bar, brown sugar, and butter. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with batter. Sprinkle honey oat topping over each muffin.
6. Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool on a cooking rack.

Notes:
I followed the recipe as it is but did my usual substitution for the egg.  For one egg,  I take a 1/4 cup measure  and add 1 tbsp milk and fill the rest with vegetable oil.  I also used half wheat flour and half all purpose flour.  I ended up adding the sugar in the end as I forgot to do them in the beginning.  So for it to mix well, I added a little extra milk.  May be  it was because of this that my muffins took a little time more than the 17 minutes to be done.  As I did not fill my muffin liners fully, I got 11 muffins.
I had to skip the topping part as I did not have the ingredients on hand.    No regrets, as my kids love it plain.  However, I will have to definitely try it with the topping.  Who is not going to love it when there is butter!!!


My kids loved these muffins and they all vanished in about 3 days!!
             
                                                           *********************               
                                            

Vegan Plum Muffins

Following the earlier recipe,  I decided to use some soft plums which were lying in my refrigerator for many weeks.  This time made it vegan by substituting with soy milk.  The plums  though were soft and ripe, was not a sweet one.  Nevertheless, the taste was not bad and my kids ate it.  I remembered to add all the ingredients in the beginning itself:)  However, the muffins took a little longer than the time mentioned for it to be done.  So check if they are ready by inserting a toothpick in the center.



Oops!!! Please bear with the poor click!!  I was in a hurry to get it done:(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pecan Ladoo

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Beetroot Pulao