Onion Pakoda with MAITRI mystery ingredient

As mentioned in my other MAITRI post, I made these onion fritters and it came out really good....it was all gone in a few minutes!!!



1/2 cup besan/gramflour
1/4 cup corn flour
1 medium onion chopped into thin 1 inch slices
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of baking soda, turmeric, hing and orange food colour
water for the batter
oil for frying

Transfer the chopped onions into a bowl, add 1/4 tsp salt and set it aside.  I did this step in the beginning thinking I will do the crispy pakoda which uses almost no water.  Later I changed my mind to do the soft pakoda variety(which is liked by all of us at home).  So,  I added all the dry ingredients in a different bowl.  To this I added 1/2 cup water and made into a thick batter.  As the onions let out some water because of the addition of salt, I added 2 tablespoon of rice flour.  I then combined this with the batter and fried them in hot oil till golden and crispy. Drop the onions into the hot oil little by little ensuring it is spread out and does not clump together.

If you are doing the soft pakoda variety, it is not necessary to add the salt to the onions.  Just make a thick batter and combine it well with the cut onions.
 

Comments

  1. wow, that is excellent. I will be trying this combo next time I prepare onion pakoda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks priya...i am sure it will be easy for someone like you who made the yummy raj kachori!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo crispy and very addictive pakodas...yumm!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pecan Ladoo

Corn and Spinach Dhokla for MAITRI

Beetroot Pulao